Wednesday 19 January 2011

Movie Nights Begin

It's been 4 or 5 days since me and my friends kicked off our movie night season. The first to host was my friend Woody. The film of choice was City Of Lost Children.

I'd hadn't previously heard of the movie so I was slightly dubious. Ron Perlman in a starring roll also had me unsure as to whether or not this would be any good. After a quick nosey on IMDB I saw that there was a great production team behind the film. Due to the film being French, I was particularly interested to see that one of the two directors was of Amelie fame.

So we sit, with our pizza and get set for the main event. My other friend, who we shall refer to as Mainstream Ross, had taken command with the remote control. He presses play.

So I sit, watching and immediately begin to get agitated as I notice the film is set up, by Mainstream Ross, with badly dubbed English. Before the film had started I had said to Mainstream Ross, "check it's on subtitled and not dubbed". From experience I know that he prefers dubbed to subtitles so I let it ride. Woody shortly comes to my rescue by mentioning the laughable Cockney accents. We change to subtitles.

So we're ten minutes in and I'm not enjoying it. I wonder if it will getter better now the dubbing has gone. It doesn't. For the most part, I'm trying my hardest to stay focused on the film. I just don't feel a strong enough plot developing to keep me interested.

The film is certainly interesting to look at. It has a very unique feel. Strangely it feels like an old fashioned future world, masked in a greeny-brown haze. It has a very stage/theatre like feel to it, but it works. So visually, in my opinion, it's done it's job.

In terms of story, to sum up, poor. The plot developed so, so slow. Even after the story gathered momentum, I didn't connect with or care for any of the characters. I didn't buy into anybody emotionally, so the film for me gets a big thumbs down. Am I glad I watched this? Yes. I did take some things from the movie, just left me with a general 'style over substance' vibe.

Now this isn't a film review blog as such. Just my general ramblings on film. So I'm pretty much going to leave it there. As you've probably guessed, I wasn't a fan of this movie, therefore I don't feel like taking too much time to talk about it.

Aside from movie night, it's been a pretty busy week for me, movie-wise. Since my last post I've watch Post Grad, Black Swan, Let The Right One In, Saw 3d, Flight Of The Navigator, Wall-E and Home Alone 3. Not bad for 5 days eh?

Now the last three weren't through choice. I have a 5 year old daughter and my girlfriend has a 5 year old son. So weekends generally consist of this kind of movie. I have to say though, I kind of pushed Flight Of The Navigator on them. I loved this film as a kid, and they both loved it too. If you have kids younger than 10, then this is definitely worth picking up. Slightly dates but still, transports kids to a world where they fly a spaceship with cute aliens on board.

Wall-E, as you may well know, is amazing. But have you checked out the Pixar short 'Presto', located in the extra's. It's only a few minutes long but it never fails to make me and my daughter laugh. Post Grad isn't the greatest. Let the right one in is definitely worth a shot and last but not least, Black Swan.

Now I can't sum up Black Swan in a paragraph and I really need to get back to work now so I guess I'll put up a new blog about this one. In the meantime, check it out. It's worth all the hype. Guys, there's a special treat in there for you too.

Peace out for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment