Thursday 20 January 2011

Black Swan

As I previously mentioned, I watched Black Swan this week. I wanted to write a separate post as I don't think I'd do it justice in a paragraph.

Before I begin, it's worth mentioning what I knew about the film before I began watching.

1. It's about ballet!
2. It had received Golden Globe nominations.
3. It's stars Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel

That was pretty much it. I was going in blind.

I made a conscious decision recently to stop watching trailers if I already knew I was going to watch a film. What do I have to gain aside from revealing the 1st act. If I'm already going to watch it, then why would I find out more?

Anyway, I'm watching Black Swan. I'm in bed with my girlfriend. I'm thinking the film is pretty good pre-sleep viewing. Visually good, nice soundtrack, nothing too heavy. This should put me in a nice mellow mood before my slumber begins. How wrong was I?

The film just turned on it's head. Surely this isn't right? Sinister, dark, eerie, haunting etc etc. "I am Jack's shock induced palpitating heart". Wow.

Ok, I don't want to narrate the story, if you've seen it, you know it. If you haven't why would I ruin it. I guess once the story had started to twist, I kinda knew where it was going, but enjoyed the journey nonetheless. Mila Kunis was great. Not Oscar great, but she delivered exactly what she was supposed to. Extremely sexy. Rough round the edges, as intended. A stark contract to Natalie Portman's cutesy little Mummy's Princess.

Portman's character was truly floored. A victim of a mother's obsession, ultimately becoming obsessed herself. I couldn't take my eyes off her for the entire film. I believe she got a Golden Globe for this performance and although there are mixed reviews for her in this role, I felt she was back at her Leon-esque best.

What in particular did I like about this movie? The music was haunting and extremely atmospheric. I was interested in the characters from the get go. I was sucked in. I wanted to find out more. The plot developed nicely and like the music, the suspense built up, right to the end. I was captivated, front to back. No lull's.

All in all, one of my favourite movies in a long time. Go see it if you haven't. If you have seen it, then watch it again.

I'm out.


No comments:

Post a Comment