Friday 4 February 2011

Movie Round Up

I've detailed in this blog the 'big films' I've watched over the past couple of weeks, but the has been a host of other that aren't as 'flavour of the month'. So I thought it would be an idea to breeze over a few of them.

Last weekend I decided to go out and buy Spielberg's E.T. Mainly for the benefit of my daughter but also because it's been years since I watched it. So we settled down. Drinks, popcorn and all.

My daughter is only 5 years old and spent the first 20 mins asking questions. She still needs to grasp how a story unfolds. After a while I could see she was really into the story. I think initially she has reservations as to whether or not ET was really a good guy. Half expecting him to eat the whole family and fly away in his spaceship. Once she'd decided to accept he was a goodie, she really bought into his story.

I have to say, I'm not sure who got more emotional when ET died. Me or her! Truly an experience for both of us though. I actually got a bit teary eyed at a few points in the film. I put a lot of this down to the fantastic score by Williams. So iconic but still holds up. The scene where ET enables all of the kids bikes to fly was especially powerful, just as you think they're busted by the men in suits, Williams' amazing string rise and we take off. Truly magical cinema.

I attempted to watch Tamara Drewe a few days ago. I'm a big fan of Gemma Arterton so though I'd give it a go. She looks fantastic, as always. But even my school boy lust couldn't keeping me watching this. Almost every character annoyed me. Even Arterton. Big thumbs down from me.

Blue Valentine is another that I caught recently. I enjoyed Ryan Gosling in The Notebook and Half Nelson. Even in Lars and the Real Girl. I'd also heard good things about it and it received a ratifying 8.0 on IMDb.

All in all I'm glad I watched the movie. I definitely had some strong opinions on it. Michelle Williams character had some very deep underlying issues. She was extremely cold toward Goslings character. The movie tried to justify it be having him be a drunk. It didn't wash with me. I'm not condoning alcoholism, but quite frankly, his character didn't act like a drunk. Yes, he overreacted when she left him at the hotel. But not because he was drunk. He was acting like a man trying to save his marriage. A man that had booked a night away with his wife, only to have this evening turn into some crazy, disturbed sex fantasy for his wife.

I truly felt Gosling's pain. Williams' character wasn't even that likable in the flashback where we were perhaps intended to like her. The ending, without giving anything away, was flat. It just ended. Fin!!!

Definitely worth a look but don't expect anything revolutionary.

I decided I'm going to end with another top 5. This time, inspired by my viewing of ET, I'm gonna go for my Top 5 'Movies from when I was a kid'.

At number 5. Wax on, wax off, it has to be The Karate Kid. Daniel was such a hero for boys my age, taking down the bad guy with the legendary crane. Classic.

At number 4, dancing that magic dance, The Labyrinth. I loved this but was secretly petrified by it. After watching it I would swear there were Goblins poking out from under my bed when I wasn't looking. At the age I watched this, the whole world they were in was truly believable. And what were those crazy red fox like things that had floating heads? Creepy!

I had to include this film, because as you know, 'Nobody puts baby in the corner'. Dirty Dancing at 3. A strange choice you may think. Well I blame my two older female cousins. They babysat for me a lot and as my Mum had this on VHS, I was put through it almost every weekend. It's kind of shocking that I don't hate it for the same reasons really.

My number 2, brought to you with echoes of school holidays gone by. The Neverending Story. Many a rainy day off school has this film kept me on the edge of my seat. Atreyu was a personal childhood hero. A boy, fearless on a mission to stop The Nothing. How I wanted a ride on Falcor too. Weird and wonderful creatures galore. This is a film I definitely have to show my daughter.

Topping my list, with a big, resounding 'HEY YOU GUUUUUYS', The Goonies. What child of the 80's didn't love this film. There's plenty of diverse characters in this film, giving everybody someone to relate to. More prevalent though, is the adventure. How cool would it be to go underground, following a legend looking for treasure? With boobie-traps, treasure maps, crazy old women, one eyed willie and an accidental first kiss with the older girl, I think I'll always want to be a Goonie.

That's all for now. Catch you all soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment